Curly heads know that the summer humidity kills curls. Summer is my favorite season. Winter is my hair’s favorite season. I spend my summer mornings praying that all of my hard work won’t be reversed by the end of the day. Here are the ways that I fight off summer frizz… EVEN AT THE BEACH!!
I shower every other day. My shower routine will hopefully give me 2 days of good curls. Try to remember that every girls curls are different. Do what works for you and don’t be afraid to try new things (maybe try them on the weekend though).
Showering for Success:
- Water temp should never be scolding while applied to your hair.
- Shampoo with a gentle shampoo. I like suave mint and rosemary shampoo. Rinse and immediately apply conditioner.
- Conditioner should be a deep moisturizer and you have to leave it in for at least 3-5 minutes. Again… Suave mint and rosemary conditioner works the best for me! I apply 3x more conditioner than I do shampoo (I have really long hair)
- While conditioning I usually do everything else I need to. Make the most of your shower time.
- Just before getting out I turn the water to cold (I can’t do ice-cold but it’s close) and rinse the conditioner out.
- Summer time only – I’ll apply a nickel size of the conditioner back into my hair.
- Turn off the water and ring your hair out and immediately brush out my hair with a brush. Only brush your hair that once! All other brushing should be done with your fingers. The less brushing and touching the better.
On days that I don’t have time to shower a water spray bottle becomes my best friend. Start at the roots and work your way down. Use cold water and if you need a little more help add a dab of conditioner to the water.
More important than a shower is what you do when you get out of the shower. Waiting too long or brushing too much before you put in your hair products can leave your day ruined. If you don’t have time to put your products in right after you shower (aka kids), put your wet hair in a loose bun and gently wet when you’re ready to set your hair. Here is my product routine.
Post Shower Power – The curl without the crunch
- I dry my hair with an old towel. You want it to be soft and feel more like cotton. An old shirt works well too. Wrap your hair for no longer than 5 minutes. A good time to do your make up.
- Apply an oil. I really like the Style Me hair oil from Balanced Guru. For a cheaper option TRESemme Keratin Infusing Smoothing Serum works almost as well.
- Apply mousse. I really like the TRESemme Extra Firm Control. Scrunch it in! DON’T comb through.
- Finally, Apply your hair spray. I’ve been using aussie hairspray flexible hold for years now and I’ll never leave. This final step always makes everything better and never leaves my hair feeling crunchy. It just keeps the frizz away and holds the curl.
Make it Last
Your days aren’t always going to be good hair days. Just roll with it and bring a hair tie. The biggest rule for any curly head is don’t touch it. If I have a hard time with this, take a clip and clip back the front. This works best when I have a busy morning and my hair is still wet. Once you’ve set your hair, let it do its thing!
When I’ve made my curls last in their beauty all day, add some hairspray before going to bed and if you’re lucky you can go on to day 2(!!!!) with beautiful curls. And remember, embrace your curl. Don’t make it do things it wasn’t made to do. Natural is best… and a lot easier!